JUST CLICK “like.” Raise money to help sick kids and their families. Pretty easy, right?
That’s what local lawyer Jeff Robinette and his wife, Terri, thought when they came up with an idea to fundraise for the Ronald McDonald House in Morgantown.
For each “like” Robinette Legal Group got on Facebook, the Robinettes donated $10 to Ronald McDonald House.Two days — and 1,000 “likes” later — they reached their $10,000 goal.
In a post, the Robinettes explained their decision to do the Facebook campaign rather than just donate to the charity.
In addition to the donation, 41,707 people learned about the Ronald McDonald House’s goal to raise money to build a new family room; 4,791 talked about the campaign on Facebook; people had a chance to discuss how the Ronald McDonald House has affected their lives, which could have led others to donate; and the legal group got 1,000 likes.
“After all, it is no easy task to get people to like a lawyer,” they joked.
Ronald McDonald House Executive Director Steve De Jesus said the family room will be in WVU Children’s Hospital right across from the pediatric intensive care unit, so that family members don’t have to go far from their children to get a meal or a shower or to decompress for a few minutes.
The family room will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Ronald McDonald House is only a few minutes away by foot from the hospital, but De Jesus said, for parents of critically ill children, a few minutes is an eternity.
They’ve been fundraising since April and have raised $135,000. The room is expected to cost about $275,000.
De Jesus said they were stunned by — and very appreciative of — how quickly the Robinettes were able to get “likes” on Facebook.
“In two days, we raised $10,000,” he said. “I wish we could do that every two days.”
Jeff Robinette couldn’t believe it either.
“People were clicking so fast, you could watch the numbers climb by the hundreds in a couple hours,” he said.
They were happy to help.
“The Ronald McDonald House has a long history in Morgantown of providing services to families and children,” Robinette said.
Robinette said they know people who have had children with health problems and could have benefited from a family room.
His daughter, Tiffany, is an artist and volunteered to paint a mural at the family room when it’s ready, too.
To donate to the Ronald McDonald House’s family room project, visit www.rmhcmorgantown.org or mail a check to 841 Country Club Road, Morgantown, W.Va. 26505.
Source: Dominion Post, October 11, 2012, by Brandy Brubaker
Posted by Jeffery Robinette on October 14, 2012
HealthNet flew two people to the hospital after they suffered burns at the Harrison Power Station Friday afternoon.
The two contract workers from C&K Industrial who were injured while doing work at the Harrison Power Station in Haywood (Haywood Power Station) Friday have been treated at the West Penn Burn Center and released, according to First Energy Spokesman Mark Durbin. One of the workers was treated and released Friday evening, while the other was kept overnight for observation and was released Saturday morning, said Durbin.
HealthNet flew both victims to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. First Energy said one of the victims suffered temperature burns on his arms and chest. He was treated and released. The second victim suffered small chemical burns on his face and is still in the hospital.
One had a temperature burn on his bicep and was treated and has since been released from West Penn Burn Center. He was originally going to be treated at Ruby Memorial Hospital, but plans changed mid-air. The other worker suffered small burns on his face, and will be kept overnight for observation also at West Penn Burn Center. The injuries are not life threatening.
First Energy is conducting an internal investigation.
For more information about workplace injuries or for help navigating through serious workplace injury claims, please visit our website or call Jeff Robinette at Robinette Legal Group, PLLC at 304-594-1800.
Posted by Jeffery Robinette on August 8, 2012
Many women treat themselves with a pedicure as a reward for a hard week of work, but according to AOL news, Nancy Swanson got a lot more than she bargained for at her local nail salon. Nancy began to experience flu-like symptoms and then noticed that her skin had started to take on a yellow appearance. She became so ill that she felt close to death and sought a doctor’s opinion. Her medical providers found that she had contracted Hepatitis B, an incurable liver disease.
Since thousands of Vietnamese are employed in U.S. nail salons, Dr. Robert Gish of UC San Diego has written a health policy for the Vietnamese government outlining the risks associated with Hepatitis B. People can be carriers of Hepatitis B without presenting any symptoms and are capable of infecting others.
To protect yourself from infection, look for a prominently displayed business license, make sure all clippers and scissors are disinfected properly and only disposable nail files are used. For extra protection, take your own polish to the salon. Also keep in mind that the whirlpool jets and drains of the foot tub are places where the deadly bacteria can lurk.
For more information about personal injury claims, visit us at http://www.robinettelaw.com or call 304-594-1800. For 24 hour help, call 304-216-6695.
Posted by Jeffery Robinette on March 2, 2012